Okay so as some of you may know Pehrson and I moved to Los Angeles from Hawaii and brought everything we owned in the back of one truck. It mostly just consisted of clothes and wedding gifts. No furniture, no bed, no table...basically Nothing! So slowly, but surely, we have some things that we can now call our own. Almost everything we bought was from craigslist or garage sales, or thrift stores that we would try and fix them up or paint them. Basically our living room and little balcony have been project rooms since we moved here in september. Nights and nights of sanding, and painting and finishing. It's been fun and i think that this will be something Pehrson and I will always love to do. We just have to do it in spurts so we don't get burnt out to quickly.
We worked on this table the longest! We were so happy when this one was done. The paint has stayed on great so far, so we are glad we took our time. (but it took FOREVER!)

We bought a filing cabinet (you can kind of see it below) from goodwill. It is a metal cabinet with wallpaper on it. Sounds weird, but we love it. And then Pehrson found an old metal school desk in the basement at USC and bought it for like 20 bucks. He was the mastermind behind the desk, painted a pin-stripe on it and everything. (i think its the dentist in him).
My mom is a teacher and she moved classrooms this summer and had an extra shelf that we painted. We thought we got a more grey color, but when we painted it turned out more blue. We like it though. (notice the cardboard and tarp on the floor thats how our apartment was for months! I never took a picture of the shelf with all its stuff on it, but you get the idea)
When Pehrson was gone this last summer for 5 weeks i had to stay busy so the time went by faster. I decided to try and sew a duvet cover. It wasn't as bad as I thought and if i can do, everyone can!
I also attempted to paint...i am not an artist...it kind of looks like a 5 year old painted it. But, it's still a work in progress, I think.
We also got these white couches from craigslist. People a.k.a "our moms" think we are crazy for buying white couches but they have covers and you can just take them off and clean them. Plus we done have kids...yet!
So that's what we have been doing since september whenever we get a chance. I don't think the projects will ever end. But i kind of like it that way.
Next on our list:
-a bed frame (or just a headboard)
-paint our bikes
-P is in the process of shaping a surfboard
-I am looking for a new surfboard
-bedside tables
-tv stand
...it can go on and on. We are learning a lot and every time we start a new project we remember what works and what doesn't. So hopefully someday we will master it and while we are in school and trying to save a penny or two, it makes it fun to think of cheap ways to decorate.

17 comments:
I LOVE EVERYTHING YOUVE DONE! love love love! projects are fun and i cant wait to be thrifty too and find stuff to make cool again :) good job!
i love that i got to see this in real life! i absolutely love you guys and all you've done with the place! the splashes of color look so great!
i agree with megan...i LOVE everything you guys did! and i love white couches too! :)
I LOVE the projects you've done, so fun!
You are so creative and crafty. You need to come over and help me with decorating. Your place is so cute. You have done such a great job on all the projects. I love craigslist!
I think cheap and creative is the best way to decorate! I love everything you guys did!
Everything looks gorgeous!!
I LOVE THE BEACHY FUN FEEL! that's my style too! LOVE it. i can't wait to decorate when i actually have space to work with. SO FUN!
That table and the the chairs are awesome - so beach-y and so you. I also love the pillows you've put on the couch - what a fun pop of color! Your place is looking great, keep up the good work!
I love all of it. I especially like the addition of the birds and branches on the painting. I think it looks great. And the pillow make the couch! Great job you two. Oh, and love the photo from the weekend campout at the top of your blog page.
LOVE the chairs. That is the happiest color. Nice work!! Hope all is well :)
Wow! You and Pherson are incredibly talented! All the furniture you re-did looks like something you would buy at an expensive boutique. You two are the cutest couple ever by the way!
Everything looks great!!
You guys are quite crafty! I love it. I have good intentions to do projects like this, but then it just never happens! Good for you!
Like I said...you're amazing. So creative. I knew Pehrson had a good eye for stuff the second he said he liked to browse Anthro. :)
fun kate!! its good to see all the fun things your guys are doing! love it all!!! miss you!!
Look how talented you guys are! What an awesome job. Love it!
Post a Comment