Saturday, December 18, 2010

6 days late...but worth the wait!

We just got home from the hospital and everything is so fresh on my mind I wanted to write about it as soon as possible. I always LOVE reading other peoples stories about their delivery day and what happened to them and always thought, well... What will mine be?

So here is "our pregnancy" story...(beware very lengthy)

So my due date was december 11th. I was dilated to a 4 for about 2 weeks and nothing. My doctor was in the hospital on the 11th and i was told at a previous appointment that if nothing happens before then, come in to get everything checked out and see if we can push this along. So the 11th came and we went to the hospital with all our bags (just in case). We went in I was still the same as the week before. She stripped my membranes and told me to go and I thought for sure that I would be back later that night to have the baby because I was so far along. As we were leaving she said, "go eat a good dinner and I will see you back here in a couple hours." So Pehrson and I left feeling hopeful and super excited about the way the doctor felt. We decided to stay close by the hospital in case something happened. We went to the Americana and did lots of walking and ate a big meal at the cheesecake factory. My contractions were getting worse, which made me happy, but they weren't consistant. I would get a really bad one and then like 10 mild ones. So i called my doctor and she said that I would know the difference and to just go home and get some rest. So we sadly drove home with an empty car seat.

December 12th...nothing...December 13th...I had a regular doctors appointment, got my membranes stripped again (still at a 4 and 90% effaced) while we were there we scheduled an induction appointment for thursday the 16th @ 9 am but that was just a "back up plan" because I was so far along...December 14th...nothing...December 15th...nothing.

December 16th rolls around slowly and at 9 am we go to the hospital very excited because we knew we would be admitted cause we had an appointment!

We get there and they say..."there in no room" (i felt just like Mary) right when they said that I literally broke down, I was so bummed that AGAIN we were getting sent away. They did a quick check just to see if I had made any progress and I did. I was at a 5 and having mild contractions every 5 minutes. The baby was still healthy and had lots of fluids so they weren't to worried, but they did tell my he was getting BIG! And they said to go home...(here is where the tears really started flowing! I wanted my baby!!!!) but they said they would call me if there was an open room later that night. So we got back into the car and drove home with an empty car seat. More and more tears. We decided we needed to go do something so that this wouldn't ruin our day. SO where else to go but the beach...we went to the beach and it was a beautiful sunny day. Pehrson got his wiggles out and surfed while I read and then we both went for a walk. Then my phone rang...it was the hospital and they said there was an opening and they wanted me to come in around 5-6. Woohoo! I wanted to get excited but didn't get too excited because who knew what was going to happen and they probably could have sent me away...Again.

So we go get some dinner and because of traffic get to the hospital around 6 o'clock. I get checked out and I am now dilated to a 6! I get admitted.

The doctor told me she was gonna hold off on the ptosin and just see what my body would do since it was making so much progress on its own. I asked her if she could break my water to give my body a little kick start. She didn't feel completely comfortable because the babies head wasn't lodged in there deep enough and there can be problems with the cord dropping down before the baby's head and you would have to be taken straight to the emergency room. So P and I start making the loops around the hospital, squating, speed walking...etc. so the baby's head would get lower in the canal. I also stood in a hot shower.

Around 11 o'clock (so 5 hours later) the doctor comes in and gives me the great news that he is lower. SO she broke my water...P said it looked like a waterfall. It was the strangest feeling but kind of like a warm bath. Once they left the contractions started kicking in...the "real contractions that seriously take your breath away" they were getting more and more intense and closer together. I did lots of deep breathing and kept telling myself..."just take it one at a time" they came and the went...about every 3-5 minutes. And once I was dilated to an 8 they started coming every 2 minutes. I really didn't think I could get through some of them. I would stand up or just breath really deeply or get down on all fours and just try to breath through it. Around 4:30 am I was at a 9 1/2 and feeling the pain more than ever!

Finally at 5:00 am the nurse said I was at a 10!! and that i needed to start pushing. For some reason the pushing actually felt really good. (well...still painful but better than the contractions) I pushed with the nurse for about 40 minutes and then the doctor came in. They were rubbing oils and trying to get me more stretched out because I had a muscle down there that wouldn't relax and baby was crowning. The doctor said she was going to have to open me up a little to make room for the baby to come out. I said go for it. Just get this guy out of me. After she cut me...I was that much closer. The nurses and Pehrson and the doctor kept saying he is right there...push...push...push. I thought my head was gonna explode because I was pushing so hard and with every ounce of my strength.

At 6:01 am MY baby's head broke through and my doctor said look down, look down..."grab your baby!!" So I lean over and grab him under his arms and finish pulling him out and laid him right on my belly. I was SO overwhelmed with joy and love at that moment. I was crying and laughing and just staring at this little guy. I couldn't believe he came out of me. Pehrson and I created this beautiful perfect little angel and he just entered the world.

The doctor was sewing me up and doing a bunch of other things down there which probably should've been really painful but it's like I didn't even notice because I had this human being...my human being...laying on my belly and the one that helped me bring him here on my side. Nothing could have been more perfect. Our bodies are AMAZING!
My doctor told me I lost a lot of blood and to be very careful when I get up and move around. I laid there for a while.
My wonderful family came around 7:00 am.
And then around 8:00 am they moved to another room where we would stay for the day and night. I got up to sit in a wheel chair so hot and sweaty and dizzy from the loss of blood that I sat there for a second and totally fainted. Perhson said my head was bobbing and then he caught it. They waved ammonia under my nose and I woke back up. We walked over to another room and I feel right asleep. My body was exhausted. I slept for a couple hours and woke up again to this beautiful little baby.

He came in at an exciting number of 8 lbs. 8.7 ounces and 20.5 inches long. Very healthy baby. We couldn't be happier the way things worked out and still can't believe we are parents.
This is the life! We love you Beck Allen Hawkley!

37 comments:

Amy said...

So so wonderful Kate! Congratulations to you both!

elise lauren photography said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! i loved reading it! thanks for sharing ! you are such a trooper..seriously.

Paige Taylor Evans said...

So glad I got to meet him! He is adorable! Love all the pictures, but that last one has got to be my fave. Congrats, guys!

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Kate you are seriously my hero! I'm so proud of you. He really is completely darling and you two are just going to be the best parents. Thanks for writing up the whole story. I was soaking up every detail:) Seriously tough girl.

Kylee said...

Kate, you are so amazing!! I loved reading this!! I am so glad you did cause I have been wanting to know about it all! We are seriously so happy for you guys! Beck looks PERFECT!! I love EVERY picture of him. He just is precious and I am dying to see him in person! You rock, kate and I love the picture of P and Beck sleeping!!

Unknown said...

Amazing story Kate...you sure are a trooper. Can't wait to meet little Beck. He is too die for! Enjoy every single minute of him. They grow up way too fast!

Rebecca Lowe said...

i am obsessed with this entire post. i almost cried. you looked beautiful! and you did this all naturally?! what a woman. that little beck is the most beautiful baby ever!

Lisa said...

Kate, I am so excited for you and Pehrson. Little Beck is a lucky guy to have such an incredible mama.

cindy said...

I love this post! I am so glad you did it while everything was fresh in your mind. All the photos are so precious and the last one...love, love that one of Father and Son!!! That's the best when that sweet little baby just sleeps on your chest!!! And you can smell that sweet little baby smell that they only have for a while. Love you Kate and am so proud of you.

Liese said...

Kate! He is so precious! Congrats and way to be a trooper through all of that! Hooray! You're a mom now! :)

Anna K. said...

He is soooooooooo cute! Not all babies are cute right when they come out, but Beck is!

Lindsay Rondo said...

KATE!!! You're a mom!!! This birth story made me tear up!I'm so excited for you girl and you look beautiful! And you are a CHAMP!!! I KNEW you would do awesome! All natural, you super woman! It's funny because our birth stories are really similar! ha!
I love ya and I can't wait to hold that adorable baby boy.
You are amazing and I am giving you a virtual hug from here.

Courtney Bartlett Morris said...

Kate!! You are glowing. Beck is an angel. Jord and I are so happy for your little family!! Love you!

CHRIS and JENNY. said...

congrats you guys. he is perfect!

Sara said...

I loved every single word. I could not read fast enough. He is so beautiful. and you are so strong. Congratulations to the both of you. And Happy Anniversary, what a great gift!! Love you.

Cason and Marie said...

Congratulations!! Such a precious baby boy. Love those little dimples!! So cute!

sarjuh said...

dude pehrson and cute wife kate! Congrats on the baby! So cute and she is my hero for doing that natural holy cow! being a parent is the best thing in the WORLD! enjoy!

The Coons Family said...

I was just waiting for the "and then I got my epidural..."... You are amazing for going natural. Baby Beck is just perfect. Congratulations!

Shauny said...

wow! awesome story! Congrats!!!!

McLove said...

What a gorgeous baby!! And story! Congrats!

Leslie said...

Congradulations Kate! Beck is absolutely adorable! I enjoyed reading all about your labor and delivery. I look forward to more pictures of baby Beck.

Larissa said...

I am so happy for you guys! I am glad you took the time to tell your whole story. You are amazing! Beck is adorable!

Rich and Erin said...

Hi Kate, We don't know each other but our husbands are friends. Richie called Pehrson a few weeks ago to get together, but it didn't end up working out. Anyways, we look at your blog occasionally and are so happy for you guys! Congratulations!! Sounds like you did awesome in labor and delivery and I'm so proud of you for doing it with no drugs!! We have our first baby boy coming in February, so we'll have to get together soon to share stories and get advice from you experienced parents! Hope you are loving your new role as a mom!! Congrats!!

maeve said...

Yay!! Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well. He is absolutely darling...of course!!

Lauren said...

congratulations! he is a handsome devil. we are so happy for you guys and glad everything went so well. let us know is we can do something to help out. best christmas present ever!!

Steph said...

What a story! Loved every bit of it. You are my hero for going all natural. Seriously. So proud. He is the cutest little guy. Can't wait to meet him! And Dave wants to know when he'll be ready for Point Mugu. Ha ha.

Meagan said...

Congrats! He is PERFECT!

Mandy Stephens said...

He is SOOO adorable! Congrats! Can't wait to meet him!

Jamie Sefcik || Hello Little Scout said...

Oh Kate, such an amazing story! He is so adorable and we're so happy you and beck are both doing well. We can't wait to meet the cute little guy!

Anonymous said...

Kate, P and Baby Beck!!! YAY!!! This is awesome, thank you for sharing that with all of us. He is ADORABLE, so perfect. I'm thrilled he's here and can't wait to meet him!

Kindsay and Erik said...

I loved your birth story. You're one tough woman Kate!!! Congratulations! He is BEAUTIFUL!!!! We are so happy for you guys! I can't wait to meet him!

Erin Jane said...

this is so great! i am so happy for you guys! and I love the name Beck. It is a really great name for a Hawkley!

natalie vilos said...

k. so i usually skip the baby birthing story cuz they sometimes gross me out. but i couldn't stop reading! i especially loved the part where you and p are taking laps in the hospital and squatting. hahaha. i just love you two! and your baby is nothing shy of PERFECT! SO HAPPY FOR YOU TWO! the world just got a little better because of your little creation. I know he's gonna be a little angel all of his life!..... that sounded super cheesy. but i totally mean that! love you guys. MERRY CHRISTMAS

shira said...

congrats kate! he's such a cute little chunkers! he looks like his cousin dane. beck is so adorable, so happy for u guys!

aaron and meg facer said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful! And he looks like he already has some dimples. ;) Thanks for sharing the birth story--way to go on the natural delivery!!

Rae said...

Such a sweet story Kate. Congratulations to your family.
I love reading everyone's delivery story. Thanks for sharing. :)

kylie said...

YAY! CONGRATS MAMA!