Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ayuda (it means help in Spanish)

Once a month Pehrson and his fellow USC dental students volunteer a saturday and have a free clinic offered to low income families around Los Angeles. He LOVES this because he actually gets to work on real teeth and help assist the upper class man. Here is a picture of him working on this little girl, who has never had her teeth looked at before and she was very scared. But once they were done she was happy and realized that her teeth didn't hurt anymore she was so excited that gave Pehrson a big hug! He came home and told me all about it and how excited he was that someday he will be helping a lot of people and how fun and accomplishing that will feel.
He applied to be the ayuda class representative and got chosen along with another girl and he was pumped about it. They do these clinics every month and then once a year they get to travel somewhere awesome and do service over there. This april they are going to a little island in Panama...I know lucky dog! Unfortunately wives don't get to go, but Pehrson said that he will scope out the area and if its safe enough he will bring me back there in a couple years. (HA we will see) But anyways, I'm so proud of him and glad that he is in a field that he enjoys.

on a side note: I went to the dentist on monday to get a little cavity filled...lets just say that it will be great to not have pay for that service in a couple years! =]

2 comments:

Sara said...

I think I told you before but my brother is a dental student at USC. Maybe they know eachother??

Lindsay Rondo said...

How awesome! What a neat opportunity to get experience and give service. They should come to Laie next. :) I need some work done.